The 2017 Ontario Curling Championships (Men’s Ontario Tankard and Ladies Scotties Tournament of Hearts) are premiere curling events where the winners move on to compete in the Canadian Championships. The West Northumberland Curling Club (WNCC), in partnership with the Town of Cobourg, is very excited to host this elite curling event at the Cobourg Community Centre.
Due to the magnitude of this event, the WNCC are seeking volunteers to assist in a variety of roles. Knowledge of curling is not mandatory for volunteer purposes.
- Dates of the events are January 29 to February 5, 2017.
- Setup for the events begins Friday, January 27, 2017. Take down is Sunday, February 5, 2017 approximately 45 minutes after the last game ends.
- Approximately 250 volunteers are required.
- Every attempt will be made to find all those who volunteer a suitable assignment.
- Depending on the response, some applicants to volunteer may not be accepted.
Benefits of Volunteering
- Volunteers receive a quality volunteer jacket & golf shirt
- Access to watch the entire event (a $130 value!)
- Volunteer Appreciation Events such as pep rally and Super Bowl wrap up party
- Community building experience
Conditions for Volunteering
- A minimum of 24 hours in either preparing for the Championships or during the week of the Championship games.
- Wearing your volunteer jacket and identification during your shifts.
- Paying the $100.00 volunteer fee to “West Northumberland Curling Club”.
- Attending orientation and section training.
- Presenting photo identification when picking up your benefits package.
- Authorization for photographs and/or video to be taken and used by the 2017 Ontario Championships committee.
Volunteer Code of Conduct
A volunteer’s conduct, attitude, language and demeanor should be viewed by all as professional. You are expected to maintain a positive and enthusiastic attitude and perform you duties to the best of your abilities. Volunteers must treat the athletes, coaches, administrators, other volunteers and the public with respect at all times.
Volunteers are expected to work all scheduled shifts as agreed upon, arrive promptly and stay for the duration of the scheduled shift. If you are unable to honour this commitment for any reason, please provide your supervisor with 24 hours’ notice.
Volunteers are prohibited from the following while on shift and any of these activities could be cause for dismissal:
- Excessive phone calls/texting/social media
- Possession or consumption of alcohol or prohibited substances
- Making threats or engaging in violent behavior
- Involving themselves in any criminal activity
- Making an unauthorized statement
- Unsafe working practices
- Leaving a work station without authorization
- Any other inappropriate behaviour